Survey Earth in a Day
Remeasuring Planet Earth as a Community in a Single Day
On the day of the solstice June 21st, 2018, geospatial professionals around the world and members of Land Surveyors United (a global support network for land surveyors) will be simultaneously recording survey grade GNSS/GPS data from thousands of points around the globe, in order to promote awareness of and a better public understanding of the surveying profession. Measurements made on this day will serve as comparative data from prior events and to expand upon the database of logged points.
Who Participates in SEIAD?
Record Your Point at Noon on Thursday, June 21st
A Global Day of celebration for the Land Surveying Industry. Land Surveyors simultaneously record thousands of points around earth and submit the data to the community. This happens at Noon everywhere on the planet on the longest day of the year- the solstice. On June 20th@Noon, we will Survey Earth in a Day for the 6th time in history. We layer the data from each year on top of previous years to monitor small changes in the surface of the earth, not measurable from satellites or with cell phone accuracy. Only a professional land surveyor can produce such accuracy. #SEIAD7
Reasons Land Surveyors Participate
- -Commemorate 5th Annual International Surveyors Week 2018 [June 18th-25]
- Demonstrate to the public the high precision measurements which only a trained professional can produce.
- -Gather and submit GNSS data worldwide as a global community of surveying professionals, for the 6th time.
- -Continue to refine the models of the surface of the Earth. (must -meet specific requirements Marks/GPS Data/Equipment)
- -Promote a demystifed system of understanding the means of measurement using satellite positioning systems.
- 10 minute of your day might even make your services worth more in the future where you live because the public will actually know what you do.